Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Running The Big Sur Marathon for Parkinson's Disease

There are an infinite number of selfish reasons to run, and I certainly have explored most of them. I grew up running around on a soccer field, through the woods, and on a track. Reconnecting with this part of my life since I moved to California has certainly rebuilt a huge part of my identity that sidelined when I started college. And of course, it's also been an excuse to travel, go to the beach, spend time alone (and with ginger), and to stay in shape.

Training for an endurance event is very hard work and extremely time consuming, and with just a month from race day, there are some moments when this process feels less like a fitness hobby and more like a part time job! I am sure that the physical and mental challenge of this race will be a life changing experience...and pushing past a manageable point of exhaustion may reveal a vulnerable, gross and unpleasant Lindsey at around mile 20. The payoff for this kind of work needs to be great, and that's why I chose to make this a fundraising event in addition to it being a test of personal endurance.

Without further ado, I dedicate this race to finding a cure for Parkinson's disease.

Through fundraising I hope to expand the efforts to raise money and awareness regarding a devastating neurological disease that affects someone near and dear to my heart. There are currently 1 million Americans living with Parkinson's disease and an estimated 60,000 new cases are diagnosed each year. Unfortunately, there is still no known cause or cure. With the ban lifted on Parkinson's related research, your fundraising dollars couldn't come at a better time.

If you would like to donate, please visit my (secure) website.

Be sure to spread the word and thank you for your support!

No comments: